Monthly Archives: March 2008

Attorney Referral Services: The Painless Way to Find A Good Attorney

Are you looking for a good attorney, but don’t know where to find one? Whether you are going through a divorce, bankruptcy, looking to create a will, or had a car accident, finding the right attorney can make a life altering difference. The right attorney can effectively guide you through whatever legal challenge you are facing. However, the number of attorneys and practice areas is so vast, that actually knowing which attorney to call for assistance can be overwhelming. Attorney referral services were create to help with such a problem.

Bar Associations in your state can provide attorney referral services … Read More

Government Spending Records; Which States Provide Easy Access?

Reviewing the financial transactions of your state government requires just a few clicks on your computer in some states. As tax payers, we spend a lot of money each year, and some of us may want to know what that money is going towards. While the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) has helped open the gateway to making certain information public and accessible, actually finding these spending records could be a difficult task. Thus in some states, the governments have decided to implement databases which make the search process easier for the public.

Recently Kansas launched a state spending database … Read More

Small Claims Case Records

      No Comments on Small Claims Case Records

Small claims courts have often been referred to as “the people’s court.” This is because if an individual has a small claims case, they can represent themselves in court and do not need an attorney. Small claims cases are resolved between two private parties, generally without a jury.

Small claims cases are civil cases where the plaintiff is seeking a limited dollar amount. The exact dollar amount for small claims cases will vary from state to state. In Oregon, small claims cases involve claims of up to $7,500.00, whereas in California, the limit is $5,000.00, and Arizona’s limit is $2,500.00. … Read More

Victim/Case Notification in Maricopa County, Arizona

Maricopa County in Arizona added a great new feature to their Public Access to Court Case Information offering called Case Notification. Interested parties can register with their email address to receive information for up to 20 cases in Maricopa County. Users can determine what aspect of the case they want tracked. When a change occurs in that case, the registered party will be sent an email of the status change. Although this new feature was originally created for crime victims, the process does require a user to identify as a “victim,” therefore anyone can use this service. Click here to … Read More

Oklahoma Supreme Court Surprisingly Restricts Online Access to Court Records

On March 11, 2008, the Oklahoma Supreme Court issued an order to restrict internet access to court records throughout the state courts. Effective June 10, 2008, only court dockets will be available to view online in Oklahoma. Any other documents, such as pleadings, will no longer be available to be viewed online.

In addition to completely restricting online access to court records, the order also included a mandate to redact any personal identifiers for court records, such as social security numbers birth dates. The first line of the order explains that the order was issued “in an effort to balance … Read More

Tips on Finding Free Foreclosure Listings

      No Comments on Tips on Finding Free Foreclosure Listings

Unfortunately, in today’s economy, dozens of homes are going into foreclosure everyday. As a result, there is a lot of interest in finding foreclosure records. If you go online and Google “foreclosures” there are dozens of sites claiming to provide free foreclose listings but which actually charge a fee for their service. You may wish to use a paid for service to locate foreclosure listings, but there are other methods to find foreclosed properties for free.

There are two different types of foreclosures: tax lien foreclosures and mortgage foreclosures. In mortgage foreclosures, a homeowner is unable to make principle … Read More

Protection Order and Restraining Order Records

Protection Orders come in different varieties. A Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) is usually granted after an ex parte hearing (only one party is present in court). A TRO provides that one party must refrain from certain acts, or stay a certain distance away from a particular person or place. Once the TRO is granted, a copy of the TRO must be served on the person who is to be restrained. The TRO remains in effect until the hearing for a request for a permanent Restraining Order, which is usually 15-20 days after the TRO hearing. A permanent Restraining Order can … Read More

Locating County, State, and Federal Prison Records

Prison records are separated according to the type of prison the individual is serving time in. This includes county jail, state prison, and federal prison.

County prison records are maintained by the county jail where the convicted person is incarcerated. Jails are typically run by local governments, while prisons are run by state or federal governments. State prison records can be located through the state’s Department of Corrections (DOC). Many states, such as Texas, provide an online database to perform the search, or allow inquiries to be emailed directly to the DOC. You are only required to provide the … Read More